Autumn larder – Chocolate and chilli mousse
Another dessert I’d tend to make on weekends due to the chilling time. You can omit the chilli for a classic chocolate mousse or add your own flavours. Serve with thick cream or change to milk chocolate if you find the dark chocolate too rich.
Chocolate and chilli mousse
250ml double cream
100g dark chocolate (I use around 74% cocoa solids)
1 red chilli – halved, and seed removed
2 egg whites
50g caster sugar
- Place the cream, chocolate, and chilli, in a saucepan over a low heat, as the chocolate begins to melt stir everything together until the colour is homogeneous. When completely melted set aside and allow to cool;
- Meanwhile in a bowl add the egg whites and sugar, whisky until they form soft peaks which will not fall when the bowl is inverted;
- When the chocolate mixture has cooled remove the chilli. Using a metal tablespoon fold the egg whites gently into the chocolate mixture bit by bit;
- When the egg whites are fully incorporated spoon into individual serving glasses or dishes;
- Place in the fridge and allow to cool and set. Serve with chocolate grated on top, and some thick cream if desired.